Sunday, March 20, 2011

"When I write a poem,

I process experience. I take what's inside me - the raw,chaotic material of feeling or memory - and translate it into words and then shape those words into the rhythmical language we call a poem. This process brings me a wild kind of joy. Before, I was powerless and passive in the face of my confusion, but now I am active: the powerful shaper of my experience. I am transforming it into a lucid meaning. Because poems are meanings, even the saddest poem I write is proof that I want to survive. And therefore it represents an affirmation of life in all its complexities and contradictions...because poems can be shared between a poet and an audience, they also become a further triumph over human isolation."
-Gregory Orr


No comments:

Post a Comment