Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2 am and I'm thinking Kierkegaard?

I can't sleep. Every time I try my heart starts pounding and my head starts racing as I think about all the things I have to do. I was on campus for nine hours today, came home, ran three miles and I still can't sleep. Chronic stress?

So instead I'm reading some of Kierkegaard's essays...which I love. I like philosophy and I think Kierkegaard's ideas are my favorite thus far. He was one of the few philosophers that believed faith to be the ultimate principle that should guide humanity, plus his hair was pretty neat. I've picked out some quotes. I love quotes...almost more than Oreos.


"There has been said much that is strange, much that is deplorable, much that is revolting about Christianity; but the most stupid thing ever said about it is that it is to a 'certain degree' true."
"The opposite of sin is not virtue, but faith."
"God created humankind in his own image and in requital we created God in ours. A person's conception of God is essentially determined by the kind of person he is."
"Man almost never avails himself of his freedoms, freedom of thought, for instance; instead he demands freedom of speech."

No comments:

Post a Comment