Saturday, April 16, 2011

Into Great Silence

I recently watched a film called Into Great Silence. It was a documentary about the monks of the Carthusian Order. The film was almost three hours long with almost no dialogue. It took pretty much every ounce of willpower I had to watch all of it but when I was done, I was glad that I had. I was amazed at the devotion and discipline that these men have. They seem calm, collected, consistent, and at ease with their lives. In a world that fills itself with the jumbled noise of consumerism while harboring an obsession with efficiency, how many of us can say that? The film made me want to listen more and speak less and take my own ideas on faith and make them more personal and meaningful. I would recommend watching it if you find yourself unsure of what to do with three hours of spare time. I'll get off my soapbox now. Please forgive me.

"In a certain sense, all of us are running. We are running after money, status, pleasure. We run with gossip, rumors, foul talk, with lies, fiction, and trivialities. We run now to the east and now to the west, panting on our activistic errands. But we are not running on the racetrack."
- Kierkegaard



No comments:

Post a Comment