Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Swingsets and Stitches

The other day I was working in a very poor daycare center called Trini. The kids come from extremely poor families and have parents who work all day. I was helping some kids brush their teeth outside when I saw Justin crawling on the ground. He was not paying attention and didn't realize that he had just crawled directly into the path of an oncoming metal swing. It was one of those moments where one realizes what is going to happen and has absolutely no power to do anything before disaster strikes. The corner of the swing hit him in the middle of the forehead and left a hole in his head. It was awful. Blood, blood, blood. One of the workers grabbed a towel off the ground and tried to wipe it off but I told her no. The towel was absolutely filthy. We used a few napkins to put pressure on it. It was a scary moment, being on the side of a mountain in the middle of no where with blood pooring out of a kid's head. No one knew what they were doing. Luckily, our bus driver was waiting for us. I picked Justin up and got on the bus and told the driver we needed a doctor. One of the workers came and drove to a little clinic. I was so glad that I had gotten my vaccinations. While in the waiting room, I was sitting next to a woman that looked like she had something growing on her face. Justin was very brave. He had to get stitches but is doing fine now. Never a dull day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you. I can't tell you that enough. That's so scary! I can't imagine how that all must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo glad I found this blog of yours. You are one amazing lady! I know you'll make a tremendous mother one day. Great decision to go to Ecuador. It, I'm sure, is a challenging job, but one where you'll learn the most important life lessons.

    ReplyDelete