Saturday, February 20, 2010

A little bit scared.

I find it ironic that people commented on my last post and said that I am brave because I am currently too scared to sleep. A girl came into my room and told me that her bed is infested with fleas and she can see them jumping. She laid in bed for twenty minutes before she realized they were biting her. My first instinct was to tell her "get out of here right now before you infest my room." But I realized that was not the best thing to say to a flea-bitten friend and I tried to be as sympathetic as I could in the least amount of time. Soon I was itchy all over and I was just imagining the little fleas feasting on me and now, sleep is not an option. On top of that, I made a dumb mistake and let my roommate take some of my melatonin. Melatonin gives a lot of people, myself included, very vivid, violent dreams. This roommate talks and walks in her sleep EVERY, SINGLE night. Now I'm afraid I'm going to be the victim of some unconscious act of violence. It sounds dumb, I know. But I really did consider tying her to her bed before my attempt to sleep.

I want to write about a four-year-old named Junior. Junior is the most interesting little guy I've ever met. One minute he bites and hits and spits and the next minute he wants to be on my lap singing "sunshine." He loves that song. Junior has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and its painful for me to imagine how he is going to struggle in the years to come. I love him so much, even when he hits me in the face and throws the soap bars in the toilet. I have been reading up about FAS and I've learned that those who suffer from it struggle with cause and effect awareness...which is Junior exactly. He does things that he knows he shouldn't do and he realizes how bad they are AFTER he does them. Many times he will break something or hit someone and then begin to cry hysterically because he knows he will be punished. In accordance with Freud, his Superego and his Id are not in balance. His conscience, keeping him from impulsive behavior, is not as strong as it should be at his age. It will probably be something with which he always struggle. Junior has a lot of meltdowns but on the other side, he can be the most hilarious kid. He loves to show off which leads to fast babbling and odd facial expressions that always make me laugh.

Funny story: To get Junior and Santi to eat, we always pretend there are caballos (horses) in their bowls. They love caballos and apparently they love to eat them. The other day Santi came running up to me and told me he had eaten ALL of his caballos. I praised him thoroughly. Santi then pointed at his stomach and, with a huge smile of his face said, "estan llorando." (They're crying)

2 comments:

  1. Get a flea collar for your bedpost! or your ankle if necessary. We love you and still think you are brave. You are still there aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah Erin, you're the best. I love the way you tell stories, seriously I feel like I hear you telling them. It's great, you're awesome at it!

    Okay, and I love the flea collar post! hahah great idea! I think you should definitely wear it on your ankle!

    & you=brave

    ReplyDelete