Sunday, June 12, 2011

How Do I Love Thee?

Today I was thinking about love.

Ok, now that every guy that might read my blog has checked out with a roll of his eyes, I will continue. 

I think that deciding to be in love will be a nice feeling someday. This sounds odd. Although numerous Hollywood films and Nicholas Sparks novels have tried to convince me otherwise, I think falling in love is a choice.  Actually, the description "falling in love"  is a contradiction to my belief in and of itself simply because people generally don't fall on purpose.  The phrase gives me the impression that love is something that just could not be helped and is usually avoided, like getting a wad of gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe or not seeing the "CAUTION: WET FLOOR" sign before you decided to take off running.  I don't want my love to be that way.  I am happiest when I am aware that I'm in control of my happiness.  Why would I leave something as important as love up to chance? What makes me really sad is when I hear people attribute failed marriages and broken families to "falling out of love."  



It will be nice to someday tell someone that I've decided to love him because I know him, the good and the bad, and that knowing what I know has helped me to realize that loving him is the best decision I could make.  And then we can be really, sincerely good to each other for the rest of our lives.  Yes, that sounds nice.  

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I love this post and I love the Elder Holland video and I love you.

    ReplyDelete